West Point Foundry

The West Point Foundry was a major American ironworking and machine shop site in Cold Spring, New York, operating from 1818 to about 1911. Initiated after the War of 1812, it became most famous for its production of Parrott rifle artillery and other munitions during the Civil War, although it also manufactured a variety of iron products for civilian use. The increase of steel making and decreasing demand for cast iron after the Civil War caused it to become bankrupt gradually and cease operations during the early 20th Century.

Of the buildings on the site, only the central office building remains intact; the remainder are in ruins. 87 acres around the site form a preserve owned by Scenic Hudson. It can be visited by a short trail from the nearby Cold Spring Metro-North station. A major archaeological study of the site, funded by Scenic Hudson occurred from 2002 to 2008. The West Point Foundry Archeological Site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2010, and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2021.

50952.

Views About the West Point Foundry.

50953.

Views About the West Point Foundry.

50954.

Views About the West Point Foundry.

50955.

Views About the West Point Foundry.

50956.

Views About the West Point Foundry. Foundry Office, Cold Spring.

51027.

Views on the Hudson River. The village of Cold Spring. Cro’nest in the distance. West Point Iron Foundry in the foreground.

51028.

View on the Hudson River. The village of Cold Spring, showing the West Point Iron Foundry. Butter Hill in the distance.

51029.

Views on the Hudson River. The West Point Iron Foundry at Cold Spring.

error: Alert: Content is protected !!